Snort mailing list archives

Re: Unified Log Format

From: "Mario D. Santana" <mds () mariosantana net>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 23:39:33 -0400 (EDT)

Martin,

If you want a comprehensive map of the SIDs (Snort ID's) of GID 1, you should look at the sid-msg.map file in the etc directory of your Snort distribution. SID 527 is a bad-traffic.rules detect for same source/dest IP in a packet. Typically you'll get these listening on loopback...

Ahh! The sid-msg.map, now I get it. In fact, this 527 alert is from an old log file from an early snort setup of mine. Maybe I'll get ethereal to load up this file and generate the messages from it...

[...] Typically the log data will be a standard Snort packet, but on aggregate event like a portscan you'll get our crammed packet type that we're overloading the field with.

Right. I've actually been able to (mostly) decode the sfPorstan packets. I'm thinking about teaching ethereal to understand the actual packet contents for these. It seems that these packets use the SLL ("linux cooked capture") encapsulation, but with a broken or missing SLL header? I've gotten it to work by forcing the encapsulation to ethernet -- then the normal ethereal ethernet dissector kicks in and the rest follows. But the reference date is all wacky...

GIDs 100, 117, 121 and 122 are all various portscan detectors that have been built for Snort over the years, you might just want to skip those records...

Hmm. Is there any way to get a full list of these "aggregate events" that you mention, along with details about the packet they fake up?

Thanks for the tips!  Some of these anomalies are starting to make sense.

Cheers,
mds