Snort mailing list archives

Cannot compile snort with mysql and flexresp[2]

From: "Kolanovic, Tomislav/Human Resources" <KolanovT () mskcc org>
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 18:44:07 -0400

Hi,

Well, I've been struggling with this problem for a bit of time now, and I cant seem to find a solution.

First things first, I'm trying to compile the latest snort 2.3.3 on Suse 9.1. The part that is giving me the problem is
the ./configure which only gives me problems when I try to build in support for mysql and flexresp2 (the same goes for
plain old flexresp -- gives an error on the same line, just a different library. I can provide all of the following
information for regular flexresp instead of flexresp2 if needed). At first, I thought it was a library path, or include
path, issue since the error out of configure read as follows:
checking for dnet.h usability... yes
checking dnet.h presence... yes
checking for dnet.h... yes
checking for eth_net in -ldnet... no

   ERROR! Libnet library not found, go get it from
   http://www.packetfactory.net/projects/libnet/
   or use the --with-libnet-* options, if you have it installed
   in unusual place

 However, the ./configure --enable-flexresp2 works when I omit the "--with-mysql". And the --with-mysql works without
the --enable-flexresp2. I built the dnet with a prefix of /usr and /usr/local ... so it should all be fine there. The
problem is trying to get it to compile together. I attached the config.log for each scenario (mysql working alone,
flexresp2 working alone, and the failure of building them together).

To be candid, I am quite new to linux and to snort, but have been reading up a lot. I googled problems like this and
scoured the archives, and found no resolution. In fact, I only found one source that had the same issue (with regular
flexresp), but with no conclusion : http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/snort/2003-04/0891.html

By comparing the lines of when it errored to the the lines when it succeeded I thought would shed some light on the
issue:

checking for eth_net in -ldnet passing
---
configure:8564: checking for eth_set in -ldnet
configure:8594: gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -Wall   -I/usr/local/include -DENABLE_RESPONSE2 -I/usr/local/include
-L/usr/local/lib -lpcre -L/usr/local/lib -ldnet conftest.c -ldnet  -lpcre -lpcap -lm -lnsl  >&5
configure:8600: $? = 0
configure:8604: test -z
---

checking for eth_net in -ldnet failing
---
configure:8564: checking for eth_set in -ldnet
configure:8594: gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -Wall   -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/include/mysql -DENABLE_MYSQL
-DENABLE_RESPONSE2 -I/usr/local/include  -L/usr/local/lib -lpcre -L/usr/lib -L/usr/local/lib -ldnet conftest.c -ldnet
-lmysqlclient -lz -lpcre -lpcap -lm -lnsl  >&5
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i586-suse-linux/3.3.3/../../../../i586-suse-linux/bin/ld: cannot find -lmysqlclient
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure:8600: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
| /* confdefs.h.  */
---

I see a "cannot find -lmysqlclient" when it failed. Not too sure of the path or what it means, but I know i do have
libmysqlclient.so.12 in the proper path (i figure) since it configured fine with just mysql. I also see a "failed
program was confdefs.h". Dont know what that means though.

I tried the configuration countles times, with different --with-libnet-*  options. No matter what, it fails at the same
spot each time. I think since it configures fine with flexresp2 alone it probably is not a path issue. Although, maybe
it is. Any help would be helpful. I looked for a known bug list on www.snort.org, but couldnt find one. If this is a
known issue, Im sorry.

Thank you,

Tom

P.S. In order to patch snort to have the flexresp2 option, I followed the directions in the readme.flexresp2. However,
I did not find autojunk.sh (I think since its not a CVS build I'm trying -- but I could be way off) so ./autojunk.sh
failed (it said it wasnt a directory) In order to get around that I just issued the following four commands: aclocal &&
autoheader && automake --add-missing && autoconf. Just letting you know just in case this is what is causing me to have
problems.

This is my first email to the group, so if you need any information that I left out, my apologies and will get it as
soon as possible. Thanks!

     communication or any of its attachments is strictly prohibited.  If
     computer.