Snort mailing list archives

Re: Issue with ClamAV preprocessor in snort-2.3.3

From: Victor Julien <victor () nk nl>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 22:47:32 +0200

Jason Haar wrote:
Hi there

I have just patched snort 2.3.3 with ClamAV-2.3.3-1.diff and it doesn't
seem to work as advertised. I have the following preprocessor line

preprocessor clamav: ports all !20 !22 !443, toclientonly, dbdir
/var/ftp/pub/tools/clamav-devel/share/clamav/, dbreload-time 43200,
file-descriptor-mode

I strace'd snort while downloading EICAR.COM and the klez virus from a
remote HTTP server - the strace shows the daily.* files being loaded -
which tells me ClamAV is being enabled - but nothing got detected. I
even ran tcpdump on the same interface and can see the HTTP download -
so it's definitely  not a wiring issue either.

I can see tonnes of /tmp/snort_inline-clamav-XXXXXX files being created,
opened,closed and unlinked - but no virus was detected. The summary that
is outputted when snort exits shows zero alerts - and nothing shows up
via the syslog or mysql output processors I use.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Yes, the clamav signature expects the eicar string to be at the start of
the buffer, which is not the case for the clamav preprocessor since
there is http stuff in it as well. This is caused by the fact that the
clamav preprocessor does not do any protocol parsing (this would be a
great feature, maybe in combination with http_inspect. If anyone is
interested in implementing such a thing...).

Regards,
Victor