Snort mailing list archives

permissions denied error for alert log on new snort install

From: Jason Benway <benwaynet () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 11:19:26 -0400

I just installed the latest snort
When I run snort -T everything is run

but when I start snort either manually or from a dameon, it looks like
it starts but if I check /var/logs/messages I see

 FATAL ERROR: OpenAlertFile() => fopen() alert file
/var/log/snort/alert: Permission denied

That file is

drwxr-xr-x   2 snort snort 4096 Apr 27 09:38 .
drwxr-xr-x  10 root  root  4096 Apr 26 16:10 ..
-rw-------   1 root  root     0 Apr 27 09:38 alert

which is the same as my local snort install wich is working.

thanks,jb