Snort mailing list archives

Strange PATH MTU Traffic

From: "Joshua Berry" <jberry () PENSON COM>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 10:56:44 -0500

I am getting this alert: ICMP PATH MTU denial of service

I have never had this alert previous to this weekend, and have received
40,000 within the last 8 hours.  Some of this traffic appears to be
encrypted, the rest of it is hitting our domain controllers and contains
schema information.

I know Microsoft does some screwy stuff but I have never seen schema
information transmitted in an ICMP packet, much less a path mtu
discovery packet.

Anyone else seen this type of traffic?

Josh Berry | CISSP GCIA
Information Security