Snort mailing list archives

Re: "Best of breed" tools for Snort

From: Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 12:35:42 -0500

--On Friday, April 22, 2005 09:56:58 AM -0600 Tristan RHODES <TristanRhodes () weber edu> wrote:

1.  I would like to implement several (around 8) Snort sensors in our
network.

2.  I would like the rulesets/signatures to be updated automatically
(or with a simple manual process).
IDS Policy Manager
Oinkmaster
SnortCenter2 (What does this do?  I cannot find good documentation on
it.)
Others?

Oinkmaster.

3.  I would like tools to analyze the data and send alerts.
Base
SecureMine for Snort  (I wish it was not Windows based)
(Can both of these tools be used on the same data?)

Yes.

4.  What data architecture is best?  For instance, would it be best to
have a central database server?

With your setup, yes, but you're going to have to watch the growth of the db, because it will slow down response times as the event count grows.

 Briefly explain the data flows.

snort -> unified logs -> barnyard (essential for what you want to do) -> db

5.  What are the best tools for each of these processes?  Any other
recommendations?

What OS do you plan on using?

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer