Snort mailing list archives

Re: ERROR: Undefined variable name: (/etc/snort/rules/bad-traffic.rules:12): EXTERNAL_NET

From: Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 11:41:03 -0500

--On Saturday, April 09, 2005 06:24:38 PM +0900 Mark Sargent <powderkeg () snow email ne jp> wrote:

Hi All,

anyone seen this error b4..? I've checked my snort.conf file and
confirmed that the rules path = /etc/snort/rules,

[snip]

[root@localhost snort]# /usr/local/bin/snort -c /etc/snort/snort.conf -i
eth0 -g snort

[snip]

ERROR: Undefined variable name: (/etc/snort/rules/bad-traffic.rules:12):
EXTERNAL_NET
Fatal Error, Quitting..

Look in bad-traffic.rules. You will probably find a rule there that uses "EXTERNAL_NET" instead of "$EXTERNAL_NET". IOW, a type. Or, you haven't defined EXTERNAL_NET in your snort.conf file.

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member