Snort mailing list archives

snort-inline and iptables INPUT chain

From: Laurent Haond <lhaond () bearstech com>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 19:47:51 +0100

Hi all,

I'm new to Snort and the iptables QUEUE target, though i use iptables since long time...

I've setup a firewall on a box (On Lan / Two Internet Access), using nat/conntrack and patched iproute2/kernel (multipath gateway) I've installed snort 2.3.0 and barnyard on it, i launch snort with : /usr/sbin/snort -QDq -c /etc/snort.conf (module ip_queue is loaded)

I've taken my firewall/iptables scripts and replaced all "-j ACCEPT" with "-j QUEUE" : - Boxes from lan network can acces internet and snort seems to be running fine ( i've some alert about using aim chat, etc...) - but i can't connect to the box (running snort/firewall) , i've no more access to ssh running on port 22.. (but not alert about theses connections)
  (no more success if i change the sshd port)
- i can still ping it (it triggers icmp alerts).

Reading older posts, i do not really understand if sort-inline does only work with the FORWARD chain ? so do i need to replace all "-j ACCEPT" with "-j QUEUE" only for FORWARD chain ? Or is it a problem/option missing on stream4 preprocessor, or a probleme with ip_conntrack ?

Thanks for any suggestions...

Best Regards
Laurent