Snort mailing list archives

Re: Supressing alerts.

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 13:21:15 -0500

At 09:14 AM 2/28/2005, chubeshoi () chubes com wrote:

Are generating too many alerts. I have attempted to suppress these alerts in my snort.conf file like the following:
suppress gen_id 1, sig_id 27:
suppress gen_id 1, sig_id 19:
suppress gen_id 1, sig_id 4:

But those alerts keep on flooding my SQL database. Am I using the correct signature ID numbers? I don't know what else to try.

Well, you are close, but you wrong gen_id's.. generator 1 is the rules, and no preprocessor generated alerts will match.

[snort] (portscan) Open Port   unclassified
[snort] (portscan) UDP Portsweep   unclassified

sfportscan is generator 122 so you need to suppress gen_id 122 with sig_id 27 and 19.

[snort] (http_inspect) BARE BYTE UNICODE ENCODING

http_inspect is generator 119 so you need to suppress gen_id 119 sig_id 4

Try these instead:

suppress gen_id 122, sig_id 27:
suppress gen_id 122, sig_id 19:
suppress gen_id 119, sig_id 4: