Snort mailing list archives

Re: Rule Chaining

From: Brian <bmc () snort org>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 14:08:45 -0500

On Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 09:25:35PM -0800, Madhur Nagar wrote:
1. Rule Chaining - one rule calling another

FYI, most uses of activate/dynamic should be replaced with flowbits.
Sure flowbits only works on a single flow, but it works oh so much
better than activate/dynamic rules.

2. Stateful Checking - Checking for a content in say 10 packets and
only if the content of all the 10 matches then take some action

Sure, thresholding can do this.

3. Remote Rule Updation

Sounds like you need snort-perl 1.0 :P.  Remote rule installation was
one of the primary features I added in my latest iteration of snort +
perl.

    http://www.shmoo.com/~bmc/software/snort-perl/

Brian