Snort mailing list archives

RE: new user - snort is not droping pacekts

From: "Alex Butcher, ISC/ISYS" <Alex.Butcher () bristol ac uk>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 09:33:37 +0000

--On 15 February 2005 10:23 +0100 lokesh.khanna () accelonafrica com wrote:

I remember in real secure or manhunt, I used to configure a port in
mirroring mode on switch and I put IDS on that port. All our traffic was
going through that mirrored port. Based on rules defined in IDS, it was
dropping / logging packets.

Logging, yes, but those products would only have been dropping (i.e. blocking, rejecting) packets if they were interacting with a firewall or router in some way (or they were running in some kind of IPS mode, which you seem to indicate was not the case).

If I understand correctly, do I need to pass all traffic through IDS
box.

If you're using inline mode, yes, the snort machine will be acting as a router (actually an Intrusion _Prevention_ System or IPS). See <http://snort-inline.sourceforge.net/> and README.INLINE for more info on inline mode. Note that 2.3.0 integrates the inline stuff IIRC.

IDS will act as a router also. And based on alerts, IDS will make
modification in IPCHAIN and will drop or allow packets.

See the above site for the details.

Or is there any other way out? How can I find out documents on this?

<http://www.snortsam.net/> and README.FLEXRESP and README.FLEXRESP2 in the snort docs.

Cordially,
LK

Best Regards,