Snort mailing list archives

Re: Looking to update rules in remote locations securely

From: Demetri Mouratis <dmourati () cm math uiuc edu>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 20:25:10 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005, Bob Konigsberg wrote:

I've got some snort systems in remote locations that need to pick up a set
of rules from my central system via scp (secure copy).

I've asked such questions before and been advised in various ways on how to
set up certificates and such to automate the process - and had no luck.  I'm
sure it's just one or two things that I'm missing, but I've spent a lot of
time with not much progress, and I NEED progress.  I've also tried Expect
scripts and gotten nowhere with those as well.

Not sure by your email what OS(s) are involved but this ought to provide
all the steps you need:

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-keyc.html

You might also consider using rsync over SSH.

Good luck.
Demetri Mouratis
dmourati at linfactory.com