Snort mailing list archives

Re: Finding rules for internal network

From: James Riden <j.riden () massey ac nz>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 10:23:30 +1300

sEc nErD <umkcguy1978 () yahoo com> writes:

   Hi ALL,

   I am trying to work through a snort box on debian configured by some
   other engineer for the rule sets.

   I have to find why the snort is able to detect outside scans on the
   network but not able to detect inside scans ,for inside scan scanner
   used is Super Scan

   Could anybody tell me where exactly to look for in the rule set
   snort.conf?

First guess would be to check for  "preprocessor portscan-ignorehosts: "
or "preprocessor portscan2-ignorehosts: " in snort.conf.

In fact, I'm far more worried about portscans originating internally,
because that means I've got problems - where as portscans from outside
seems to be the norm these days.

cheers,
 Jamie
--
James Riden / j.riden () massey ac nz / Systems Security Engineer