Snort mailing list archives

Re: Performance: Streaming Media

From: Jose Maria Lopez <jkerouac () bgsec com>
Date: 04 Feb 2005 22:00:16 +0100

El vie, 04 de 02 de 2005 a las 23:05, Rudi Starcevic escribió:
Hi,

I have a Linux machine which does mostly www service and port forwarding
for mms service ( Window Media Server )

If I install snort on the the Linux machine do you think the filtering
of packets will affect the forwarding for streaming media ?

This machine uses about 90MB/sec 24 hours a day and is on a 100MB/sec
plan, many gigs per hour are streamed and downloaded.

I really want an IDS on this box but not if it will have a too great
effect on streaming media performance.

Thanks
Kind regards
Rudi

The answer to your question depends on the rules you have,
the preprocessors you use and much more things. Best you
can do it's try it and do your own measures. That's the
only way to see if it affects your traffic or not.

Regards.

--
Jose Maria Lopez Hernandez
Director Tecnico de bgSEC