Snort mailing list archives

Re: Bripia worm

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 21:08:33 -0500

At 08:11 PM 2/2/2005, Cesar Sanabria Pineda wrote:
Hi, i have a virus spreading through messenger it seems like
bropia.worm, is there any snort rule to detect this worm?

None that I've seen, but you might be able to hack the MSN messenger file-transfer rule from bleeding snort (sid: 2001241) to detect any attempts to MSN a .pif file by adding to the end.. "content:".pif"; distance:40;"

alert tcp $HOME_NET any <> $EXTERNAL_NET any (msg:"BLEEDING-EDGE CHAT MSN PIF file transfer request"; flow:established; content:"MSG "; depth:4; content:"Content-Type|3A|"; distance:0; nocase; content:"text/x-msmsgsinvite"; distance:0; nocase; content:"Application-Name|3A|"; content:"File Transfer"; distance:0; content:".pif"; distance:40; nocase; classtype:policy-violation; priority:1; sid:xxxx; rev:1;)

Note: I've mangled the sid above to avoid re-use of the bleeding-edge SID for the original rule, please pick a SID in the 1,000,000+ range.

Disclaimer: I've not tested this, as I don't have this worm roaming my network. I've also never tested the original rule, this is entirely a theory anyway.