Snort mailing list archives

RE: Snort PID in /var/log/messages

From: "Basselgia, Barry A Mr (NAF Atsugi)" <BABasselgia () atsugi navy mil>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 16:13:58 +0900

I looked back through the archives and couldn't find an answer to this.

Is there a way to get snort to include the process ID along with the process
name when it logs to syslog?

I have multiple instances of snort and barnyard running on my sensors.
Barnyard 0.2.0 includes the PID with everything it logs to syslog.  Making
it very easy to figure out which instance an alert comes from.  But, Snort
2.3.0 doesn't.  I've looked through the syslog code for both Snort and
Barnyard.  They seem to be similar, and both seem to have a LOG_PID option.
I just can't figure out why Snort isn't doing it.  Is there a switch that
needs to be turned on for Snort?

Barry