Snort mailing list archives

Re: dropping packets - Missing libpcap.so.0.8.3.so

From: hchlai () netscape net (Hugo)
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 16:01:24 -0500

Thanks for everybody's help, but after I install Phil's libpcap with mmap functionality, I figure I do not have the
libpcap.so.0.8.3.so file under /usr/local/lib. There are broken links of the following:
libpcap.so -> libpcap-0.8.3.so
libpcap.so.0 -> libpcap-0.8.3.so
libpcap.so.0.7 -> libpcap-0.8.3.so
libpcap.so.0.8 -> libpcap-0.8.3.so
I have included /usr/local/lib under my ld.so.config file, and then when I run ldconfig, missing links reduced to the
following:
libpcap.so -> libpcap-0.8.3.so

what am I missing? Many thanks!

Hugo

Phil Wood <cpw () lanl gov> wrote:

This is relevant to users running snort on linux:

I've made a change to the max calculation.  Before, max was just the max
based on a 2.4.<25 kernel for a payload snaplen of 1500 (standard ethernet).
If you were running a tcpdump to just get the IP headers (-s68), then
the max was still the same.  Now, the release labeled 20050129 will
calculate how many frames of a given size will fit on the ring.  You
may need more RAM to use this feature.  Basically, the max requires
that you have (over and above other requirements), 134217728 Mbytes
(and then some of course) of available memory.  The ring itself uses
'size-131072' (see /proc/slabdata) for the ring of pointers.

Please try the current libpcap release which can be found at:

    http://public.lanl.gov/cpw

Read the items dated Jan 29 and Jan 19, 2005.