Snort mailing list archives

Logging retransmitted pkts.

From: Mike Mestnik <cheako911 () yahoo com>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 00:51:59 -0800 (PST)

I, like many ppl, have a caped 256Kbps upload on my modem(cable).  I have
setup TC on my linux router and I'd like to be able to monitor the
effectiveness.

One of my main concern is DROPPED pkts, as this is what the modem dose
when I'm above rate.  It's impossible for me to tell when a pkt is droped,
I used nc to send udp pkts at my third hop and it's rate was just under
7Mbps and I coulden not see any traffic(like ICMP rejects) from the modem.

The only thing I can really do is log retransmitted pkts.  Luckily I'm
only interested in TCP, so retransmitted pkts should be easy to spot.  The
problem is I have seen many program to monitor TCP flows(iptraf, tcpdump,
potion) but non of them have an easy way to count duplicates.

Now I'd like snort to help, I'v chosen it since it seams to be the most
flexible.  I'm prepared todo a little coding.

For now a simple global count would be sufficient.