Snort mailing list archives

Re: Newbie - First run of snort - Solution by hit and miss

From: Jiju Menon <security4rrm () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 08:05:11 -0800

1/18

Hello,

I put the ' var RULE_PATH ' as ' /etc/snort/rules' in the snort.conf file
I untarred the Snort rules file which I downloaded from snort website,
- "snortrules-snapshot-2_2.tar" in the /etc/snort
A rules folder with many .rule files was created.

Now the snort runs :) .

I do not know why snort did not take the path '
/root/snortDir/snort-2.3.ORC2/rules' where the installation folder
(snort-2.3.ORC2) is located with another 'rules' folder in it.

Anyways I hope snort is running as it should.

Thanks.

My problem earlier: