Snort mailing list archives

Re: Install location

From: "Matthew K. Lee" <fratlee () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 09:53:59 -0600

http://www.snort.org/docs/
http://www.winsnort.com/

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 16:45:22 +0100, Eckhardt Newger <enewger () gmx de> wrote:
I'm thinking of giving Snort a try on my small home wireless LAN which
connects through a router/switch to the Internet.

I've read through many installation guides. All of them recommend to
install Snort to a dedicated PC if I understood it right. But I do not
want to install additional hardware for Snort (at least not at the
moment). So my question is: Is it feasible/possible to install Snort on
an already existing client, and how should I do it (separate NIC,
unbound (how on a Win XP Pro system?))? Do I loose any functionality
with this kind of installation?

Many thanhs in advance for any advice.

Eckhardt Newger