Snort mailing list archives

Re: RE: [Snort-sigs] Any new rules coming out ofsnort.org?

From: Matthew Watchinski <mwatchinski () sourcefire com>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 15:40:33 -0500

Just thought I should jump in here and clarify a couple things.

On March 28th, a VRT Certified Ruleset was released to subscribers that contained new rules for vulnerabilities in MySQL, ARCserver, and Oracle.
3528 - MySQL CREATE Function attempt
3526 - Oracle XDB FTP Unlock overflow
3530 - ArcServe backup UDP msg 0x99 overflow

We also included new FTP Bounce rule that utilizes new detection capabilities that are in the 2.4 Branch of Snort. Additionally there were a number of updates made to previously released rules to improve their accuracy. For a complete list of changes see the changelog at http://www.snort.org/rules/docs/ruleset_changelogs/v23/changes-2005-03-28.html.

As a side note, this ruleset includes the rules used by NSS for their recent Gigabit IDS Test

Registered users will be able to get this content on 4/2. Additionally an updated Community Rule Pack will be out shortly.

Cheers
Matthew Watchinski
Director, Vulnerability Research Team
Sourcefire, Inc.

Arseneault, Thomas (HQP) wrote:

I know all about how subscription vs. registered works, my point was
that the previous poster said that there have been two releases since
the 16th and there hasn't been, not to the general public anyway. I also
use oinkmaster and I frequently see updates to the bleeding set but only
once from snort.org for either the vrt or community rule sets, back near
the 16th. I just checked the output of my update (which I have
automatically done at 12:30 every morning) and saw no updates for vrt or
community but oinkmaster did function properly, it processed the rule
sets but just did not find anything had changed (Just to be sure I ran
the update script by hand to watch for error messages that might not
have made it into the logs and it worked flawlessly, downloaded all the
files, unpacked them and checked for changes, found none and exited).

Tom