Snort mailing list archives

Re: Enterprise rollout - 50+ Distributed sensors with centralized managment / alerting / analysis

From: Seth Art <sethart () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 14:06:11 -0500

From what I've seen the most common solution is to
have the sensors all log to a common DB, but I assume
this solution is impractical over WAN connections with
limited bandwidth. So how do I get around this?

I wouldn't say it's impractical at all.  All of the traffic is NOT
being sent to the central database.  The analysis is being done on the
remote sensor and ONLY THE ALERTS are being sent over the WAN/T1
connection on your mysql port.  The alerts are tiny in comparison.

-Seth Art