Snort mailing list archives

Open Source Snort Rules Consortium (OSSRC)

From: Martin Roesch <roesch () sourcefire com>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 11:23:12 -0500

Sourcefire and Bleeding Snort have been working together over the last week with input from other Snort community members. We're excited to announce that Sourcefire and Bleeding Snort will be forming a consortium called OSSRC Open Source Snort Rules Consortium.

The OSSRC will be a group that any company or organization will be welcome to join. The members will share research on new threats and rules to handle those threats, with the goal of creating a unified community-based ruleset. Each member may post these rules wherever they choose, distribute them to their clients or customers, or use them in their own subscription services according to the provisions in the GPL. The goals of the group are still forming, but initially will be to:

1. Maintain a fast moving and GPL-licensed Snort ruleset
2. Avoid rule duplication amongst community rulesets, both in terms of content and SIDs
3. Improve and enforce quality standards for rules (documentation, etc.)
4. Possibly move to a Stable and Unstable rule 'vetting' process

More details will come shortly, but the gist is that all of the companies and organizations that want to contribute resources and efforts to the open source community may do so in a single framework, but still bring that information back to their own projects. We will avoid duplication, SID conflicts, and gaps in rulesets.

All of the contributing members of the OSSRC will have an equal say in direction and operation. We are finalizing the draft of a formal charter, which will be available to all for review soon. This will outline a board of directors and officers that will be modeled after other open source projects. No one company or organization will have any controlling interest in the OSSRC, nor will there be any chance of the content channeled through the OSSRC becoming anything but free under the GPL.

This is something we have been considering for quite some time and are excited to finally have the opportunity to move forward and continue to increase our support of the Open Source Snort community. We welcome every interested organization to join the OSSRC. Please email either Jennifer Steffens (jennifer.steffens () sourcefire com) or Matt Jonkman at Bleeding Snort if you're interested in being an initial member. There are no financial obligations: you are only being asked to contribute to the work of the group and share in the information being collected.

    -Marty

--
Sourcefire - Discover.  Determine.  Defend. - http://www.sourcefire.com
Snort: Open Source Intrusion Detection and Prevention - http://www.snort.org