Snort mailing list archives

Re: What is the relationship

From: SN ORT <snort_on_acid () yahoo com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 10:30:19 -0800 (PST)

Guess I kinda like it with the few ports configured,
since those would be the only ports allowed through my
firewall. Also depends upon the placement of your IDS.
 Before or after the FW? So IMHO, I'd want to know
about fragmented attacks only on traffic allowed
through. At this point the engine would be working
overtime for nothing if I had it keeping track of
every session.

Then again, it depends as well if you want to watch
outgoing traffic as well if you allow unhindered
outbound traffic. Personally, I would not watch all
inside-established streams, but rather would depend
upon the non-fragmented attack alerts.

So, my vote, if there is one to be had, would be to
watch only certain ports, most of which would be
directed at our public servers.

Cheese!

Marc