Snort mailing list archives

Licensing, etc.

From: William Mathews <bill () hurricanelabs com>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 22:59:40 -0500

We use Open source software quite a bit and try to contribute back to the community as much as possible (we host user groups, different projects and participate in several projects). I see a lot of companies that make quite a bit of money off of various Open Source software and basically rename the project something else (SpamAssassin becomes MailClean, or SuperSpamBlocker Pro, Nessus becomes Mega Compliancy Checker 5.0, etc). It's really quite disgusting. What is often missed about Open Source software (and I see it all the time) is that "free" doesn't mean "free," it just means that you can modify the code as you see fit, not get everyone else to do all the work while you collect the money. As for the new licensing of the rules, its not like the rules are being taken away, it does seem like a genuine move to both boost SourceFire and the Snort community. Remember, if SourceFire doesn't do well, Snort won't do well. I'm pretty sure (and I don't speak for Marty) that the intention is not to punish the steadfast supporters of the project but to discourage certain larger companies from making money with absolutely zero investment. I don't think anyone can see that as unfair or wrong, except of course for those companies affected.

--
Bill Mathews                    |    PGP: https://www.hurricanelabs.com/bill.asc
Technical Officer               |