Snort mailing list archives

barnyard logging mysteries

From: Chris McClimans <barnyard-users () mcclimans net>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 17:39:54 -0600

I'm ccing snort-users and barnyard-users since barnyard-users looks to be a bit quiet recently.

Two questions...

Should I be generating both a log and alert unified log and processing each with it's own barnyard process or does log include the data in alert? I've seen some posts on this, but nothing definitive or documented.

Secondly is there anyway to get more information on failures in barnyard processing besides -v? I'm looking at a pretty simple configuration in barnyard that should be shooting stuff over to a mysql setup for acid. As the mysql session shows, there are events in the database, but no sensors. With the limited data acid doesn't function properly.
-chris

cat /etc/snort/barnyard.conf
config daemon
config hostname:mynifty host
output log_acid_db: mysql, sensor_id 1, database snort, server 127.0.0.1, user xxxxxx, password xxxxx, detail full output alert_acid_db: mysql, sensor_id 1, database snort, server 127.0.0.1, user xxxxxx, password xxxxx, detail full

tail /var/log/daemon.log
Nov 30 17:15:54 localhost barnyard[14987]: Initializing daemon mode
Nov 30 17:15:54 localhost barnyard[14988]: Opened spool file '/var/log/snort/snort.unified.log.1101856179'
Nov 30 17:15:54 localhost barnyard[14988]: Waiting for new data

mysql snort
mysql> select COUNT(*) from event;
| COUNT(*) |
|       87 |