Snort mailing list archives

Re: Advice on quad ethernet card

From: Glenn Forbes Fleming Larratt <glratt () rice edu>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 12:33:04 -0600 (CST)

I have done this. I'd advise against that particular configuration, as
I've experienced bus contention, memory leaking, and general suckage
requiring weekly prophylactic reboots, when trying to run even 2 of
the four interfaces on a quad both in promiscuous mode.

Scaling down to one i/f on the quad and deploying a separate card for
the second tap didn't fully solve, but greatly ameliorated, the
difficulties I experienced.

At this point, I'd recommend having a separate NIC in a separate slot
for each tap you want to monitor, plus a separate interface for
managing the box.

        -g