Snort mailing list archives

Re: false positives?

From: Cilin <cilin5 () yahoo com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 09:06:00 -0800 (PST)

Jeff,

I was experimenting with the HOME_NET variable and
decided to narrow it down to only the snort box
itself. Then the

"NETBIOS SMB-DS IPC$ share unicode access."

alert started triggering on normal activity. So I
would double check if the sources of these alerts are
from boxes that should have access to shared
resources.

Also, I logged tons of NETBIOS alerts when i was
trying to setup Symantec AV and connect a client box
to the 'protected' workgroup.

Hope this helps,

Vents