Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort PID

From: Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 10:15:16 -0600

--On Sunday, November 28, 2004 12:59:46 PM +0100 Jose Maria Lopez <jkerouac () bgsec com> wrote:

I think it depends on the distribution you are using, because
the file is created by the starting script that loads snort.
In my Redhat 9 the script /etc/rc.d/init.d/snortd creates a
file /var/run/snort_any.pid with the pid of the snort process.

I'm pretty sure it's snort that creates the PID. The OS just decides where to put it (usually in /var/run on *nixes). However, *you* can control the PID's name using the -R switch. The PID name is constructed thus:

snort_{your interface}.pid (e.g. snort_eth0.pid)
If you start snort with -R inside, the PID name will be:
snort_eth0inside.pid  ("Inside" is appended to the interface ID.)

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member