Snort mailing list archives

Re: Argument list too long?

From: "Exchange" <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 10:42:30 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Chilcott" <Michael_Chilcott () emoryhealthcare org>
To: <snort-users () lists sourceforge net>
Sent: Friday, November 26, 2004 5:26 AM
Subject: [Snort-users] Argument list too long?

When I try to update the nessus plugins, I am getting an error
"/usr/local/sbin/nessus-update-plugins: line 245: /bin/cp: Argument list
too long"
This started happening on 11/ 23/04.

You're not alone.  I had the same problem.

I don't remember changing anything either... Does anyone know how I can
fix this?

I fixed it by adding code to change the cp *.nasl and cp *.inc lines to for
loops.  The problem is that the number of files being copied exceeds the
allowed number of lines in the shell (sh), so it generates an error.  I'm
sure the authors have been made aware of it by now, so I suspect a fix will
come out shortly.

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
University of Texas at Dallas