Snort mailing list archives

Anyone know how to detect OpenVPN traffic?

From: Jason Haar <Jason.Haar () trimble co nz>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 11:30:48 +1300

[This should put the cat amongst the pigeons ;-)]

I love OpenVPN - great piece of work. However, with my corporate security hat on, I'd like to be able to detect it within our corporate network on our Snort servers. We can detect IPSec easily enough, but these NAT'ted type technologies are ... rather harder.

It can run over both TCP and UDP, on arbitrary ports (defaults to 1194), supports LZO compression, certificates and shared keys.

I have tried to sniff the traffic and find some commonality - but without much luck so far.

Is there any "initialization" sequences that are common, that a Snort signature(s) could be written for? Has anyone else done it?

Thanks!

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417