Snort mailing list archives

spp_stream4: TTL Evasion attempt

From: Russell Fulton <r.fulton () auckland ac nz>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 14:23:47 +1300

HI Folks,
        I have started to see lots of "spp_stream4: TTL Evasion attempt" alerts
on one of my sensors on our internal network. All the destination
addresses are on our dial-in pool.

So I am now trying to figure out what changed.  I don't think that this
is malicious traffic but I would like to figure out what is triggering
the alerts.

As a starter, just what type of event is the stream4 processor
reporting?

--
Russell Fulton, Information Security Officer, The University of Auckland
New Zealand