Snort mailing list archives

Re: Re: [Barnyard-users] Barnyard alert_fast and log_dump question ...

From: sam () neuroflux com
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 08:24:09 -0600 (MDT)

Yes, it does.  That was my confusion as well..  If I use just the
alert_fast processor, then none of the packet payload or other information
gets dumped into the mysql database.  If I use the log_dump processor,
then everything about the packet (including timestamp, payload, etc. etc.)
get dumped into Mysql, and additionally the flat file, but nothing through
syslog.

It seems like it has the information it needs..

I may be a little dense, but what is the reason that barnyard can't
recreate snort's alert_fast type log just based on the unified log
file?  It has the source/destination/timestamp, and if I tell it where
the sid-msg.map is, it has the alert name/msg.  At this point all I
want it to do is write this to a file.

I had a similar issue where snort was writing a unified log file and I
wanted barnyard to do 3 things with it: Write to a remote database,
write locally in tcpdump format, and write locally in alert fast
format.  I could get the first two working, but for the life of me
couldn't get "output alert_fast" to work in barnyard.  Until I read
the comment directly above and saw that it converts data from the
dp_alert plugin, not the dp_log.

I guess my point is, doesn't the log facility write out all the
information of alert facility PLUS some?