Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort use of memory

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2004 15:24:25 -0500

At 10:16 AM 11/1/2004, Larry Wichman wrote:
I added more memory to one of my Snort boxes but Snort
does not seem to want to use it. I thought there was a
doc somewhere that says how to tell Snort to use more
memory. Can anyone point me to the doc. I looked
through the archives and FAQs and did not see
anything.

Erm.. Why do you even want snort to consume more memory?

Snort's not a cached and buffered system. Most things which increase snort's memory footprint will generally degrade performance, not improve it.

For example, adding more rules increases memory consumption, but also slows things down. Turning on more preprocessors will generally do the same.

About the only thing which consumes more memory but gives you more speed is disabling the "lowmem" search option, but that's off by default. (This option exists for those who want snort to consume less memory, at the expense of increased CPU usage)