Snort mailing list archives

Re: List Bounces?

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 20:02:22 -0400

At 01:42 PM 10/25/2004, sam () neuroflux com wrote:
Agreed.  Someone doing some vacation/out of office trolling would be nice.

> Will someone do something about this? Every time I post, I get error
> messages from weird places that I can do nothing about.
> --

> Begin forwarded message:
>
>> From: postmaster () imedia fr

I block the entire imedia.fr domain because of this crud. If the site admin over there can't learn to use envelope returns properly, I want no part of mail coming from their servers. They are broken, and dangerous. Once I stop seeing their barrage of misdirected bounces getting kicked off my server, I'll stop rejecting them. Until then, I got 550's a plenty.

However, it would be nice if the snort-users list admin could track them down and remove the offending addresses directly. This has been going on for a long time, and it's getting silly.

In the interim might I suggest this bit from my /etc/mail/access file (for sendmail):

mail.easynet.fr 550 mail systems with broken bounces are not welcome here postmaster () imedia fr 550 mail systems with broken bounces are not welcome here 212.180.1.138 550 mail systems with broken bounces are not welcome here 212.180.1.136 550 mail systems with broken bounces are not welcome here

Cleans up the problem real fast. Just run make on the directory after you edit the file.

Same goes for ipadnet.com.br who are also doing the "bounce to from instead of envelope" trick:

200.249.204.129 550 mail systems with broken bounces are not welcome here postmaster () ipadnet com br 550 mail systems with broken bounces are not welcome here

The whole stunt is just as brilliant as spammers who try to spam "DuhInvalid () evi-inc com" (I've used it in examples before). Gee do you think the address is valid?