Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort -T output

From: "Alex Butcher, ISC/ISYS" <Alex.Butcher () bristol ac uk>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 15:06:25 +0100

--On 25 October 2004 07:25 -0600 hallian hallian <hallian () hotmail com> wrote:

When I update my rules I run snort -T to verify all my rules are GOOD.
But there is no way for me to automate this process so that I can read
the ERROR message to STDOUT to a file.   If the   snort -T does return
ERROR then I want to reverse back to old rules.

HOw can I feedin the output from snort -T or snort -c
/etc/snort/snort.conf -v to STD OUTPUT to a file.

What do you need to do with the output from Snort, that can't be done by checking the return code:

snort >snort.out 2>&1 -T -c /etc/snort/snort.conf
if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
       echo "rules OK"
else
       echo "rules broken"