Snort mailing list archives

Re: Drifting timestamps

From: Martin Roesch <roesch () sourcefire com>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 11:09:41 -0400

Hi Jake,

That'd have to be the system clock on the sensor drifting, the timestamps that Snort uses is based on a call to gettimeofday() that libpcap performs when it receives a new packet. Snort has no internal time tracking mechanisms and in fact we take advantage of the fact that libpcap gives us time data "for free" to track time inside Snort.

      -Marty