Snort mailing list archives

RE: Thresholding and suppression

From: "Lance Boon" <lboon () firststatebanksw com>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 09:51:17 -0500

I think I've figured out the problem, I set the var TELNET_SERVERS
$HOME_NET then setup snort to log to a tcpdump file with just sid 716
enabled and it's logging the way that I want it to now. I guess I was
misunderstanding about using the var WHATEVER_SERVERS portion. Correct
me if I'm wrong but if you specify an ip in there snort will only look
for attacks going to that specific ip address. Now if I wanted to see if
anybody was using telnet or whatever I should have that set for var
WHATEVER_SERVERS $HOME_NET? Also it looks like you are right on that
jetdirect box as well, I had to enable a telnet server on a 2003 server
to get this rule to fire. Thanks for the help..

That rule actually gets triggered upon seeing a specific response from
a Telnet server.  Your jet direct box may not be using a standard
telnet server, so it doesn't respond in a way that the rule is
expecting.

I've run into something strange when using the threshold.conf file, if
try to:

suppress gen_id 1, sig_id 716, track by_src, ip x.x.x.x

all alerts that are generated for telnet access to that specific ip
address are suppressed as expected, but if I try to telnet to a jet
direct box I would think that alerts should be generated for that sig
as
the ip addressis different but I don't see any alerts generated...
Everything else is working correctly I'm using snort 2.2/latest
ruleset/barnyard 0.2.0. I've got my home net set to x.x.x.x/20 and var
EXTERNAL_NET !$HOME_NET with an ip in the var TELNET_SERVERS [x.x.x.x]
Am I just missing something?