Snort mailing list archives

Re: resolved - compress freebsd mysql snort acid

From: Nigel Houghton <nigel () sourcefire com>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 17:57:17 -0400

On  0, snort-users-request () lists sourceforge net allegedly wrote:
   9. resolved - compress freebsd mysql snort acid (Antonio Pericles Oliveira)

--__--__--

Message: 9
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 18:48:59 -0300 (EST)
From: "Antonio Pericles Oliveira" <pericles () ufpi br>
To: <snort-users () lists sourceforge net>
Subject: [Snort-users] resolved - compress freebsd mysql snort acid

Hello,

First, excuse me my poor english.

I looking to install in my freebsd box a snort + acid + mysql client

I have erros about "compress" in my_compress.o

To resolve i make this:

1 - i get mysql source and compile the client only (my log box is not my
freebsd snort box)

   ./configure --without-server
   make
   make install

2 - in snort, i get source and compile (when i put
--with-mysql=3D/usr/local/mysql, i get erros [ ..mysql ... no] )

   ./configure --with-mysql
   make
   make install

3 - oks ? no ... when i run snort -v i get erros about
/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libmysqlclient.so.12" not found

   ldconfig /usr/local/lib /usr/local/lib/mysql /usr/libexec
   rehash

4 - it=B4s ok! running oks.

Very informative, my suggestion, for those folks not comfortable with
compiling from source, would be to use the ports collection. Where
these steps are done for you.

For example, to install the mysql client you would...

 1. cd /usr/ports/databases/mysql40-client

 2. make install clean

And you're done. You can do the same with snort and specify the MySQL
support on the command line with a "make USE_MYSQL=yes install clean".

If you also install portupgrade, you will be able to keep those ports up to
date much easier also.

One important note, make sure you get your ports collection up to date by
using cvsup (cvsup-without-gui in ports). This is documented very well in
the FreeBSD handbook.

One last thing, ACID is also in the ports collection and installing from
there will also install Apache and MySQL client as dependancies for you too.

                  Vulnerability Research Team

 Cat: "Forget red - let's go all the way up to brown alert!"
 Kryten: "There's no such thing as a brown alert sir."
 Cat: "You won't be saying that in a minute!"