Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort Placement

From: Paul Halliday <paul.halliday () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 20:59:31 -0300

On 10 Oct 2004 15:34:49 +0200, Jose Maria Lopez <jkerouac () bgsec com> wrote:
El sáb, 09 de 10 de 2004 a las 21:48, Paul Ryan escribió:
I was hoping to get input on the best placement of my snort box.

This box is to be used to track traffic to the Internet from my corporate
LAN. The traffic traverses a PIX before hitting the Internet, subsequently
all outside destined traffic is NAT'd to one public IP.

If I place on the outside of the firewall - all source IP's are the NAT,
which is useless is tracking offenders on my LAN.
Placing it before the PIX - brings up some challeges ...

How so? your pix must at some point be plugged into a switch or a
router. If it is a managed switch try a span port, if it is not tap
the line. Taps are really overpriced so just find yourself a nice
managed switch and intercept the line.  You can easilly watch all of
your internal traffic from the management port on the switch.

The PIX has a Inside, DMZ and Outside interface.

What do u think ?

Regards,

paul

If you really want to track the offenders in your LAN you need to place
the snort sensor inside the firewall, but I would also put another
sensor outside the firewall. This is my favorite configuration, because
you have a sensor outside the firewall that can see all the attacks to
your LAN and an inner one that only sees what's been let in by the
firewall. The inner one it's the most important because it's telling
you what attacks are bypassing the firewall, and the outer one can
give you a good view of all the attacks you are having.

--
Jose Maria Lopez Hernandez
Director Tecnico de bgSEC

like fabulous yellow Roman candles.