Snort mailing list archives

Re: port scans

From: Jose Maria Lopez <jkerouac () bgsec com>
Date: 28 Dec 2004 23:43:15 +0100

El lun, 27 de 12 de 2004 a las 15:38, Sidharth Deshpande escribió:
Hello team,

I am running snort on a test network. I was interested to know if
snort can detect port scans that are extremely slow. Port scans that
span over a few days for example.

Is there a way for snort to identify this kind of scan?

I think it depends on the kind of scan. Snort can detect some
kind of scans like the ones you can do with nmap even if it's
just a single packet. But if someone it's portscanning you and
taking days to do so they probably use UDP or TCP perfectly
"legal" packets or connections, that snort probably won't see.

The best way to log this kind of scans it's to have rules
(you can use iptables or snort) that logs packets in ports that
aren't running any server. That will give you the hint that
someone it's portscanning you and not just trying to use your
services.

I hope you could help me out with this information.

Thanks

Sidharth Deshpande

--
Jose Maria Lopez Hernandez