Snort mailing list archives

Snort - Barnyard - Waldo Files

From: Wes Young <wcyoung () buffalo edu>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 09:49:05 -0500

Morning all, I know most of you are on vacation, but for the geeks that
never take a break....

I am writing a script that takes a log_dump file from barnyard, creates
a snortalog report and posts it to a website... Everything works well
except if the logfile specified in the waldo file (barnyard) is moved to
the archive directory when barnyard is momentarily stopped... when
barnyard is restarted, it's stuck on the old log and just sits there...

the script looks something like:

<SNIP>
/etc/init.d/barnyard stop
mv /data/logs/si1/snort_log.log /opt/snortalog
/etc/init.d/barnyard start

# Change this later to check and see if the rules have been updated
# Less overhead, implement a check file or something....
cat /data/rules/si1/*.rules | /opt/snortalog/snortalog.pl -genref rules

/opt/snortalog/snortalog.pl -c -r -w -file /opt/snortalog/snort_log.log
- -h index.html -u /var/www/html/snortalog/ -src -src_attack -src_dst_attack

rm /opt/snortalog/snort_log.log
</SNIP>

All the configs (including the waldo file are specified in the barnyard
startup script...

I know there are ways to filter out certain timeframes for snortalog,
but for simplicity, I want to just generate stats for the last hour,
hense the Barnyard-STOP, move log file, start barnyard (to create new
blank dump_log). Only problem is, if for (whatever reason), the
[unified] logfile is archived between the stop and start, the waldo file
is incorrect and barnyard stops processing...

Should I just run a check to see if the file specified in teh waldo
exists, if so, start, if not, remove the waldo file and start [from
scratch]..? or is there a better way to do it...? Right now I have the
unified log's maxsize at 128meg and barnyard is doing the archiving...
When this happens, its no where near 128meg, so it can't be snort that
is cutting off the file, it's got to be barnyard, but I can't figure out
why (when barnyard stops and archives the log) it doesn't update the
waldo file......

Anyone else seen this??

TIA
- --