Snort mailing list archives

Re: Daily mail notification don't work anymore

From: Sam Przyswa <samp () arial-concept com>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 08:40:38 +0100

Le lun 27/12/2004 à 08:15, ViSolve Snort Support a écrit :
Hello,
Your cronjob is (presumably) written to read alerts from /var/log/snort.
When Snort configuration logging is enabled for "unified" log and alert,  it
will log details and alerts to snort.alert.xxxxxxx and snort.log.xxxxxxx.
This is the Snort unified binary format alerting and logging.  It is not
ASCII-readable, but rather, requires tools like barnyard.

The only way to log in ASCII format in /var/log/snort/alert log file for
me it's to add the "-A full" option into the snort.common.parameters but
then IT STOP TO LOG IN MySQL !

In order to get your cron job to work as you want,  you will need to edit
the Snort configuration file, as shown: to send alert and log
/var/log/snort/alert file, so that cron  will look at /var/log/snort/alert.

Yes my snort daily cron work now but no more alerts in MySQL !!!

Comment the following two lines,

   "output alert_unified: filename snort.alert, limit 128
    output log_unified: filename snort.log, limit 128"

I do that too.

Now restart Snort.  Alerts will now get logged to the default
/var/log/snort/alert file, and your /etc/cron.daily should work as desired.

Yes but how make MySQL logging alerts too ??

Is a way in snort.conf to make ASCII log into /var/log/snort/alert to
avoid the "-A full" in start command line and make snort able to log
alerts in MySQL too ?

Sam.