Snort mailing list archives

RE: Can't get remote sensor to connect to mysql + one more question (Jean Paul Bourget)

From: Holger.Woehle () arcor net
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 09:57:26 +0100

It has been snort and I tried it as root last.=20
I am getting this error with snort.

User=3Dsnort pass=3Dsnort db=3Dsnort

Error:=20

Access denied for user snort () snort mta roc arnoldmagnetics com.

Should I look at the database permissions? Or file permissions?
How do I view database permissions?

Hello,
it has nothing to do with file permissions. As you said in your following E-Mail
you openend up the firewall Port,
thats is of course a mandatory condition to access your database ;-)
Your user snort must at least have the privileges to select,insert and update on
your ids database.
Do the following on your database-server out of your mysql client:
mysql -u root -p
mysql> grant select,insert,update on snort.* to 'snort'@'name or
ipofyouridssensor' identified by 'snort'

Now try a connect from your ids-sensor:
mysql -u snort -h name or ipofyourdatabaseserver -p
mysql>use snort;
mysql>show tables;

regards
holger