Snort mailing list archives

RE: snort funtionallity (alert triggered emailing alternative)

From: "McCash, John" <John.McCash () andrew com>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 12:24:44 -0600

Hi,
        I've found one other reference, which I haven't seen discussed
here on the list, to a way for snort to alert via email. If you use the
snort-perl addon, you can script a rule (with thresholding, obviously)
to email when it triggers. See Brian Casewell's presentation on it at
http://www.snort.org/dl/contrib/patches/snort-perl/presentations/caswell
-nathan.ppt for the details. They're on the 'Even more advanced foo'
page... Unfortunately, the version of the snort-perl patch that is
currently available doesn't work with the current version of snort, but
Brian recently volunteered to update it if there was sufficient
interest. One side benefit of this is that you don't have to work with
text logs, for those of us who use ACID or BASE exclusively.
                John
this email is prohibited.