Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort funtionallity

From: "Nick Smith" <nick () computernick com>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 03:01:29 -0500 (EST)

does it do that on its own?

Nope, you have to do it manually. I would recomend oinkmaster
(http://oinkmaster.sourceforge.net/) to manage the rules. It
will do
the trick.

got oink installed and also updated it, seemed to work ok, no
manual work as far as i can tell, said the update went fine and
i restarted.

And don't forget that you have to send SIGUSR1 or restart snort
for it
to pick up the updated rules.

and where would i add those rules?

Oinkmaster will take care of most of the stuff, and advice you
where
you need to do some manual work.

Have you enabled the relevant signatures and preprocessors
for those?

no clue how to do that? any advice?

i was asking if there is something i need to turn on in snort to
monitor that traffic, and what config files do you need? snort?
firewall? i am behind a router (soon to change) but i dont think
that would be blocking that traffic by default configuration
(linksys)

thanks for the input

Nick

Not sure, I don't know your network. I would help if you could
send us
your configuration so we can have a look at it. Also check out
the
snort documentation at www.snort.org.

Best regards
 Michael Boman