Snort mailing list archives

Re: AW: How to Import Alert-Files into MySQL?

From: Michael Boman <michael.boman () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 09:38:20 +0800

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 14:42:21 +0100, Philipp <ph.ilipp () gmx net> wrote:
Sorry for posting twice and thanks for the answer, but there is a
misunderstanding. I have several alert files (from /var/log/snort) from some
experimental honeypots in amount of nearly 1GB. There I have only logged
them in text mode. For the Analysis now, I want them to import into a mysql
database on the analysis-box for statistical manner with tools like ACID or
the Honeynet Security Console. Some workaround was to replay (tcpreplay) the
binary-logs to a virtual interface and analyse them with snort again logging
to mysql, but all time-information is lost in this way.
Again the question, is there a easy way to import them without writing a
perl-script?
I already found
http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/snort/2001-03/0202.html, but it was
written for snort v1.6x and doesn't fit the newer versions.
Regards,
        Philipp

If you still have the pcap for the traffic in question you just need
to use 'snort -r' to re-read the pcaps again (no need to replay them
using tcpreplay).  Converting ASCII logs to DB is a daunting task, and
it would involve some scripting at least...

/Michael Boman