Snort mailing list archives

EXPLOIT WINS overflow attempt FP

From: Jason Haar <Jason.Haar () trimble co nz>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 09:30:46 +1300

We have an old NT4 domain controller that is continually triggering the "WINS overflow attempt" when it connects to remote *Active Directory* WINS servers (at least five different AD WINS servers). That is the only domain controller/WIN server/client causing this - the rule doesn't trigger between AD and AD WINS servers - just this one NT4 DC.

I have nice captures of the offending packet if anyone wants to have a look. But as they contain hostnames on our network - I'd prefer to e-mail them to individuals who can help instead of the mailing-list ;-)

These packets appear to contain lookups of MULTIPLE hosts - which isn't normal I think? Also, the Snort IDS we have closest to the NT4 server causing all these FPs *never* triggers an alert - only the remote (WAN) ones closest to the AD servers trigger. I am wondering if this is another case of Snort-2.2 "merging" multiple TCP streams together? These are all TCP WINS packets - not UDP...

Snort-2.2 under RH Linux.

PS: I have already been told snort-2.3 contains some fixes in this area - I just sent this for confirmation. We're not running snort-2.3RC on our production environment yet - but this might be the push to do so.

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417