Snort mailing list archives

Snort not showing all packets

From: Ned <gned () optusnet com au>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 11:59:02 +1000

I have written a preprocessor that prints the packet payload size and contents (p->dsize and p->dp). I want to use it to test stream4 and its ability to reassemble TCP streams.

My preprocessor *almost* works. Unfortunately, when I run it through a tcpdump file containing a simple wget of an index.html, I do not see the first part of the data from the web server. The first packet is there, but my preprocessor sees it as a packet of size 0.

Does anyone know what I could try to fix this?

Also, can anyone confirm that the following determines whether a packet is a reassembled stream from stream4?

        if (p->packet_flags & PKT_REBUILT_STREAM) {
                printf("This is a rebuilt stream, rebuilt by stream4.\n");
        }

Thanks