Snort mailing list archives

Re: Warning: flowbits key 'realplayer.playlist' is checked but not ever set.

From: Brian <bmc () snort org>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 11:15:08 -0400

On Wed, Aug 18, 2004 at 09:01:15AM -0500, Lance Boon wrote:
I just upgraded one of my sensors to 2.2.0 from 2.1.3. When I issue
the command kill -SIGUSR1 pid, then tail var/log/messages I notice
something that I've never seen before. I see the following message
"Warning: flowbits key 'realplayer.playlist' is checked but not ever
set." What exactly is this referring to? Snort starts successfully
and logs alerts to my remote mysql server so I'm not sure if this is
something to be concerned about.

New rules can tie to each other via the flow preprocessor using the
flowbits keyword.

Some of the rules that are tied together via flowbits show up in
different categories.  There are rules that check the realplayer
playlists for buffer overflows, but since they validate client side
data, the rule makes sure that the data we are looking from a
realplayer playlist request.

turn on multimedia.rules and then that warning won't show up.

-b